Iturcemi Engineering contracted by Duro Felguera has developed the engineering of the electrical installation for the modernization projects of the Primary Refrigeration Circuits of the new Continuous Casting Machines of the LD-A Steelworks of ArcelorMittal. Also, following the functional description of DF, he has carried out the programming of the automation and control system. In addition, it has manufactured the CCMs, control cabinets and interconnection boxes of the installation and has carried out the electrical assembly and instrumentation of the installation, as well as the commissioning of the same.
The new continuous casting machines require the use of soft water for the cooling of their Molds and Machinery circuits. The mains water to be used in refrigeration is treated by means of a decalcification unit.
The refrigeration, both molds and machinery, is a closed circuit of decalcified water that is cooled in heat exchangers using water from the existing cold water raft. Therefore, the complete cooling circuit for each machine consists of a closed circuit, called PRIMARY and a semi-open circuit, called SECONDARY.
The global installation consists, for each machine, of two “closed” and independent primary circuits, with the secondary circuit common to both. The cold water of the cto. secondary is crossed in the exchangers with the hot water of the primary circuits to cool it, this refrigerated water is pumped back into the machines for cooling.
The Refrigeration plant was designed with two different parts to cool each casting machine, so there were two projects:
- Revamping of the primary cooling circuit of the new continuous casting machine 1 /continuous 2.
ITURCEMI in the project has carried out the electrical and automation and control part of both plants:
- Development of electrical engineering and, following the functional description of Duro Felguera, the programming of the automation and control system has been carried out.
- Manufacture: CCMs, control cabinets (PLC, remote, flowmeter cabinets, auxiliary force panels) and interconnection boxes.
- Electrical assembly: Cable laying, connection, mounting of pipes (tray and tube), cabinets, instrumentation and tubing for instrumentation.
- Testing and commissioning of the installation (cable tests, checking the operation of the instruments and finally operating tests before production).